Saturday, March 6, 2010

Friday op/eds

Finding it totally relevant, I chose to write about this video, found at utne.com:

Procrastination from Johnny Kelly on Vimeo.


It's all about procrastination. Substitute coffee for tea, and exclude the fire escape plan (note to self: construct a fire escape plan) and I have done each one of those things instead of doing work that I should have been doing. Some more than others, like drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette, getting drunk and re-arranging my workspace (which can turn out weird the next day if you were doing it fairly drunk), and there are many more not even on that list that I have done. It's just something that I assume lots of people do, especially college students. I've seen my friends do so many other things instead of homework, it is almost an epidemic.

For example:

My friend Adam had a take-home exam, and because of procrastination, it was due the night after. But instead of getting it done, he spent the whole day trying to find other things to do. And being a fellow procrastinator, I was happy to assist in someone else's procrastination. We went out for lunch, went to a park and played catch, went to a bar and had a few drinks and then went to the movies, the whole time weighing the consequences and benefits of doing his exam, or going on to do whatever else it was that we wanted to do.

Like now, I was going to do research on my essay for English 1102 before I went out to the bar tonight, but I realized it would be better to write in my blog. And the time it took to read Miller's blog, other blogs I follow, find a website to find an article from, to find the article, to watch the video and think about what I was going to write, and finally, to drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, organize my workspace and write this blog was all time I could have spent researching. But no, now it's nearly eleven, all my friends are at the bar and I'm about to leave. I'll research tomorrow.

-Davey Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment