Thursday, April 15, 2010

Op-Ed

This article in The Atlantic deals with one of my favorite topics- racism. 

But not the regular- KKK, Black Panther, MS13 racism, it's food racism, and I, myself, believe that I fall into the category of a food racist.

In this delicious article (the photo is from the origonal article), Andrea Scotting talks about when she encounters someone of a different race, she immediately thinks of the food that this person's culture brings to her in a Styrofoam box in about 30-45 minutes. 

This is something I do all to often. Whenever I meet someone new, and I find out what race they are- if it isn't already 100% apparent to me, I immediately think of food from their culture. 

Moving to Atlanta, one of my roommates is Indian (let it be said that when this happens in real life social situations, alcohol helps these seemingly rude questions go over a lot better) and I asked him if he knew how to cook curry. He does all the time now. It's great curry too, and he said that if I never had asked him, he would feel embarrassed to be stereotypical like that. He might have actually made it later, but we're great friends now.

This also works in bad ways- I don't like certain kinds of food, and it will sometimes be reflected in my attitude when I meet someone from that nasty food producing region. But the thing is, I am not someone who makes lots of long term friends, and I will be eating food longer than I will know some people, so it all works out.

-Davey Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment